Thursday, December 4, 2008

Fences and The Bath Bomb Debacle

Phew I've been busy!

Aside from the usual things that keep me busy, I have been MADLY trying to get Christmas pressies made. On top of renovating... which has been interesting to say the least. The fence is ALMOST finished. I feel really sorry for my little guy, Tob-e, I have had to lock him inside when I am at work because I've had no fence to keep him in the yard. Went to the trouble of getting a temporary fence before I moved in, which he figured out how to get around on the first day. He has a history of fence jumping! But is particularly bad now for some reason, maybe because it is a new place. Anyhow, the first day I went to work after we moved in here I came home to find two of my neighbours watching him making sure he wouldn't go on the road. Who knows how long he had been outside (8 or 9 hours?) and they both work during the day. I know we get quite a few people walking their dogs down the little cul-de-sac I'm in, so I hope he didn't cause them too much grief. He is a good boy though, and doesn't wander too far from his front yard! Loves his mummy too much to leave :)

Sunday 30 Nov was day 1 of the fencing:
Excuse the messy plants, I do plan on landscaping this all at some point!

Lining it all up with string. Then, the posts were put in.

This took my brother and I about 6 or 7 hours to line the posts up with a spirit level, dig holes to the right depth (well we kinda did - we were digging into clay mainly. fun fun!) and concrete them in

Day 2 (today, Wed)- This took about 4 hours. Putting the fencing in. It's not quite done, and I don't have a gate, but it's getting there!

I'm so proud of us!!! We have never done anything like this before. Simon is a site supervisor for a building company, but we have never ever done anything at all like this. Big kudos to him. (and my mum for helping a bit too today!)

Now onto bath bombs. I twittered about never ever ever being able to make a bath bomb successfully. I gave up for about 18 months or so, and after seeing a bath bomb tutorial on Soap Queen's blog, thought - why not give it another go! So I did. And I failed. Sort of. I am still giving them as Xmas pressies. They still work, so that's good enough for me! :)

It took me a whole THREE hours to make these bombs. They kept crumbling and not staying in shape. I used my bath bomb moulds (the round ones you normally think of when you think of bath bombs) and they would not stick in the middle, so I just did halves. I also used the snowflake guest moulds and made a gorgeous white with silver glitter snowflake with a goldmica with gold glitter background. They turned out great ......... the first time I unmoulded them. Then I had to keep repacking them because I'd tap them out and they would start to crumble.

Here are my bath bombs - warts and all (no pun intended)

<--- Just after unmoulding.

The photo just below demonstrates exactly what happens when you don't pack your bombs tight enough!

Its funny, my warty bombs that hadn't exploded 24 hours later were flat on the bottom, the perfect texture. Oh well! I did a bomb test and will post it tomorrow.

Hope all is well with everyone :)


PS. If anyone can tell me how to make my photos stay next to each other (rather than one on top of the other) that would be awesome! :)


France said...

Hi! I found your blog from the thread on The Dish :)
Try placing your cursor to the right of the first picture, then add a space with the spacebar, then try hitting delete once, and maybe again, until the picture that is pic#2 is next to pic#1. But even if you do that, the pictures might still go one below the other, because of the width they would take vs the width of the blog.
HTH (I usually just use the HTML editor, it's easier for me!)

Justine said...

Hi France!

Thank you so much, I'll try that next time!!!!